Professional & Creative Development
We aim to provide support and opportunities to enable the creative talent of Dumfries & Galloway to flourish.
As the visual art and craft development agency for Dumfries & Galloway, Upland is working to develop and promote high quality artistic and artisanal practice in region. It aims to provide a range of platforms to enable this and looks to create new opportunities for professional artists and makers to show their work and for audiences to engage with it.
Upland is developing a creative and professional development strand with the central purpose of nurturing the environment in which the visual artists and makers of Dumfries and Galloway work, providing opportunities and resources to develop their skills and creative practice. We aim to provide support and opportunities to enable the creative talent of the region to flourish. From established to emerging artists Upland seeks to drive forward a spirit of innovation, excellence and experimentation.
We currently have a programme of creative & professional development events taking place with an emphasis is on networking, sharing and developing skills and learning new skills. Integrated within this is the process of building relationships and negotiating routes with other agencies and art organisations to ensure that whilst Dumfries & Galloways creative community can thrive within itself it also remains outward looking, connecting with a wider network beyond the region.
Upland offers the following under it's Creative and Professional Development programme:
- 1:1 surgeries - A chance to get advice or discuss your practice. These sessions are offered throughout the year in various locations with Upland staff members and/or invited professionals offering particular expertise.
- Go & See Trips - Connect with other Upland members and join organised trips to various exhibitions and museums.
- Business Skills - Sessions and workshops covering various topics from advice on how to approach galleries to how to do your own PR.
- Residency Opportunities - Upland has previously run a pilot residency for Upland members with Cove Park and is developing new residency opportunities.
- Peer Critiques - Opportunities to discuss work in progress in a supportive environment with peers.
- Artist talks & events - A programme of artist talks by Upland members and events linked to current projects.
Some of these opportunities are for Upland Members only, but many are open to all. For more information on upcoming events & opportunities visit the relevant pages. If you are an Upland member and would like to make a suggestion please use the 'feed your ideas' form.
Would you like to join Upland? Find out how here.
This programme is supported by: