Upland is a bold, ambitious, rural-based visual art and craft development organisation based in Dumfries & Galloway, South West Scotland.
Upland is a bold, ambitious, rurally-based visual art, design and craft development organisation that evolved from Spring Fling CIC and was established in 2015 - find out more in Our History
Spring Fling Open Studios continues as Upland’s flagship event but we now offer a year round programme delivering a range of projects, events and exhibitions working with young people, emerging and established artists and makers. As the visual arts and craft development organisation for Dumfries & Galloway, Upland aims to provide a network for learning and sharing, offering advice and support to creative practitioners whilst aiming to inspire and educate a wide range of audiences to participate in and be supportive of visual arts and crafts.
As a membership organisation we work to create opportunities that connect our artists and makers with audiences, communities and each other. With a strong sense of place, we aim to highlight and celebrate our unique region and its creative community, raising its profile in a national and international context.
Our mission is to embrace a spirit of excellence, innovation and experimentation. We nurture, produce and promote visual art, design and craft, and raise the profile of the creative industries of our rural area in a national and international context.
We support and promote visual artists, designers and makers by developing mutually supportive partnerships, and engaging with diverse communities and audiences.
Our Core Values
- To produce and deliver festivals, events, and experimental projects of the highest quality
- To nurture the development of artistic excellence so that it thrives and grows
- To inspire and educate a wide range of audiences, customers and clients to understand, celebrate, participate in and be supportive of visual art and craft practice
- To raise the profile of visual artists and makers locally, nationally and internationally fulfilling a crucial role in the culture and tourism of Dumfries and Galloway
- To work to benefit the local economy and the sustainability of local communities